STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION
1. In addition to the more traditional simple oven many .... either by circulating heated air around the food or by heating the moisture contained in the food with microwaves and a few do both.
A. functioning modern ovens
B. modern oven that function
C. modern ovens function
D. the function of modern ovens
Answer : C. modern ovens function
2. .... many communication companies are now able to offer radio and television broadcasts over the internet.
A. Advanced technology has enabled
B. Introducing advanced technology
C. Because the introduced of advanced technology
D. With the introduction of advanced technology
Answer : D. With the introduction of advanced technology
3. From the beginning of the twentieth century to the present, technology .... people are beginning to imagine there are no limits to what we can achieve.
A. progressed to the point that
B. has to progress to a point
C. has progressed to the point that
D. progressing to the point that
Answer : C. has progressed to the point that
4. A trap .... disguise is what has come to be called a Trojan Horse, from the ancient story of the gift of the wooden horse from the Greeks.
A. offered a gift of'
B. offers a gift in
C. offering a gift to
D. offered as a gift in
Answer : D. offered as a gift in
5. Telecommuting is a new form to work .... to work, such as fathers with children, the chance to work while remaining at home.
A. affording those previously unable
B. affords those who were previously unable
C. that affording those unable previously
D. afforded those previously unable
Answer : A. affording those previously unable
6. It is the lack of gravity on the moon that makes ..... leaps of 30 feet or more.
B. it possible
C. to be possible
D. it to be possible
Answer : A. possible
7. It is believed that the modern bird .... the pterodactyls that existed million of years ago.
A. was envolved from
B. envolved from
D. was envolving from
Answer : B. envolved from
8. Although .... a successful film, none of her other works have to date been adapted to the film format.
A. The Joy Luck Club is best known novel by Amy Tan was made into
B. The Joy Luck Club was made into a film by Amy Tan best known
C. Amy Tans's best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, was made into
D. Amy Tans's best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, made
Answer : D. Amy Tans's best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, made
9. The advent of the personal computer and easy a access to information via the Internet has allowed many more enterpreneurs .... than ever before.
A. to open home based businesses
B. who open home based businesses
C. opening businesses home based
D. based at home their business
Answer : C. opening businesses home based
10. ...... "orca" means whale, the orca is actually a member of the dolphin family, the delphinids.
D. It is
Answer : C. While
11. Many modern critics of American literature have called Mark Twain, born Samuel Clemens, ......
A. as America's greatest writer
B. was America's greatest writer
C. America's greatest writer
D. to have been America's greatest writer
Answer : C. America's greatest writer
12. ..... its area of defense, a fort should be built on an elevation and with some sort of natural feature of the landscape to obstruct direct access to the fort.
A. to better protect
B. protecting better
C. for the better of
D. it is better for
Answer : A. to better protect
13. An iron smelting forge .... ore into usable metals.
B. is melting
D. should melting
Answer : A. melts
14. The one in charge of a meeting .... toward the end of the meeting.
A. table general important topics
B. tables generally the important topics
C. generally the topics of the table
D. generally tables important topics
Answer : D. generally tables important topics
15. Sufficient gravitational force is .... atmosphere ; otherwise the atmosphere will drift off into space.
A. necessary for retaining planet
B. retaining necessary planet
C. retained by necessary planet
D. necessary to retain a planet's
The answer is D. necessary to retain a planet’s
16. Because(A) of the enermous pull gravitational(B) of the Moon, the shape of the Earth actually changes(C) as the largest oceans are "pulled" toward(D) the Moon.
Answer : B. gravitational, gravitation.
17. Only with the advent of refrigerator(A) were(B) most Americans able to begin(C) to consume fresh meat(D).
Answer : A. refrigerator, refrigerators.
18. The smaller(A) of all(B) nine planets(C) in the solar(D) system is Pluto.
Amswer : A. The smaller, The smallest.
19. The function of biologist(A) is both to describe organisms in minute detail(B) also(C) to understand why they behave as they(D) do.
Answer : C. also, ( and ) karena ada kata both.
20. According to all findings(A) to date(B),the known universe consists almost entirely of the hydrogen(D).
Answer : D. the hydrogen, tidak perlu pakai kata the.
21. Because(A) of their flexibility, reeds and straw are able(B) to endure harsh winds that other more(C) brittle materials like brick and concrete would not be able withstanding(D).
Answer : D. withstanding withstand.
22. Before hay can be processed and sold(A), it is typically(B) bundled into(C) boxlike bales so that it can be more easily transport(D).
Answer : D. transport, (transported) karena ada kata can be.
23. Most of the birds living(A) in desert regions inhabits(B) the fringes(C) of the desert(D).
Answer : B. inhabits, tidak perlu pakai ( 's' ) karena subjeknya jamak.
24. Areas(A) of rocks may shifts(B) up or down on each(C) side of a fault(D).
Answer : B. shifts, tidak perlu pakai ( 's' ) karena bukan subjek ke 3 tunggal.
25. From the 1850s until after the turn of the century, many(A) of America's super-rich families(B) made(C) Newport his(D) favourite summer resort.
Answer : D. his, their.
26. Of Jane Austeen's six great novels(A), the first four were(B) published anonymous(C) during(D)her lifetime.
Answer : B. were, was.
27. Clarence Birdseye is best know(A) for developing(B) a process(C) for freezing food in small(D) packages.
Answer : A. know, known.
28. It was(A) as a direct result(B) of the widespread implementation(C) electricity that the US had a source(D) of light other than gas lights.
Answer : C. implementation, implementing.
29. The Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. is home(A) to the largest collecting(B) of Native American artifacts in the United States, most of which(C) remain uncatalogued(D) and hidden from public view.
Answer : B. collecting collection.
30. In the modern era(A), face to face communication is becoming near(B) as uncommon(C) as hand-written(D) letters.
Answer : B. near nearer.
31. The leaves(A) of most(B) coniferous species(C) are slender and length(D).
Answer : D. length long.
32. Like(A) an aiplane, a(B) helicopter have(C) to control sticks instead(D) of one.
Answer : C. have, has.
33. Much(A) bright young stars lie(B) along(C) the spiral(D) arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Answer : A. much many.
34. Hippocrates believed(A) that health depended on(B) the balanced(C) of the four fluids(D) of the body : blood, phlegm, bile and black bile.
Answer : C. balanced balance.
35. Because mistletoe berries are poisonous(A), everyone with Christmas decorations containing(B) mistletoe need(C) to be aware of the potential danger(D).
Answer : C. need pakai ( 's' ) karena subjeknya tunggal maka kata kerjanya tunggal.
36. The earliest(A) known artworks were done(B) by cavemen which(C) used a mixture of clay, chalk(D) and burned wood and bones.
Answer : C. which (who) karena cavemen menerangkat subjek.
37. The Earth's crust is composed of fifteen plates which(A) float(B) on the partially(C) molten layer below they(D).
Answer : D. they them.
38. The Cabinet consist(A) of secretaries of departments, who(B) report to the president, give him andvice, and helping(C) him make(D) decisions.
Answer : C. helping help.
39. Operas can be broadly(A) classified(B) as either comedies or(C) they are tragedies(D).
Answer : D. they are tragedies tidak perlu pakai they are.
40. During the annually(A) salmon migration from the sea to fresh(B) water, Alaska's McNeil River becomes a gathering(C) place for brown bears waiting eagerly(D) to catch their fill.
Answer : A. annually annual.